Los Angeles Chargers @ New Orleans Saints
Monday Oct 12, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Opening Line: New Orleans -8 with a total of 52
Projected weather: Game is indoors in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome
- Los Angeles rookie QB Justin Herbert, who the Chargers drafted with the 6th pick in the 2020 NFL draft, has played well in his 3 starts. However, his job is not getting any easier. Last week Tom Brady threw 5 touchdown passes to lead the Tampa Bay Buccaneers out of a 17-point hole to a 38-31 victory. Herbert completed 20 of 25 passes for 290 yards and 3 touchdowns. This week he has the daunting task of facing Drew Brees and the Saints in New Orleans.
- Chargers coach Anthony Lynn announced Thursday that Herbert will be the Chargers starting QB going forward. Lynn said “I did not take that decision lightly. It’s not a decision where he’s going to be looking over his shoulder. … He’s our quarterback.”
- The Chargers like many other teams have injury issues. Starting RB Austin Ekeler has a hamstring injury that is expected to keep him out as much a month. Also missing practice on Thursday were 4 other starters. Offensive linemen Brian Bulaga with a back injury and Trai Turner with a groin injury along with WR Mike Williams who has a hamstring injury and defensive end Joey Bosa who has a knee injury.
- Since the Saints All-Pro receiver Michael Thomas went down with an ankle injury in the season-opening victory against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Drew Brees and the Saints passing game struggled in consecutive losses to the Las Vegas Raiders and the Green Bay Packers.
- In last week’s 35-29 victory over the Detroit Lions Brees completed 19 of 25 passes for 246 yard and 2 touchdowns with one interception. New Orleans head coach Sen Payton said he was pleased with the way the Saints came back from an early 14-0 deficit to go into halftime with a 28-14 lead.
- Thomas was one of 7 Saints who were limited in practice Thursday. The others were All-Pro return specialist Deonte Harris, CB Janoris Jenkins, DBs Marshon Lattimore and Malcolm Jenkins, DE Marcus Davenport, OL Ryan Ramcyzk and TE Jared Cook.