Green Bay Packers @ San Francisco 49ers
Sunday Dec 19, 2020 at 6:40 pm
Opening Line: San Francisco -7 with a total of 45
Projected weather: 56 degrees, mostly cloudy with wind out of the NW at 6 mph
- Green Bay (13-3 SU, 10-6 ATS) beat Seattle 28-23 in the Divisional Championship game as 4 ½ point favorites. The Packers jumped out front 28-10 but then had to hang on as the Seahawks scored 2 late touchdowns to make it a one score game. QB Aaron Rodgers threw for 243 yards and 2 touchdowns to his number one target WR Davante Adams.
- The Packers covered in 3 out of 4 games as a road dog this season. The one loss was at San Francisco in Week 12, as a 3-point underdog, when the 49ers dominated throughout in a 37-8 beatdown. They were down 23-0 until Rodger’s late third quarter touchdown pass to Davante Adams. In last week’s game against Seattle Adams had 8 catches for 160 yards and two touchdowns and RB Aaron Jones scored two touchdowns rushing. In the Week 12 game Rodgers had the worst day of his long and illustrious career getting sacked 5 times and averaging only 3.2 yards per passing attempt. Adams had 7 catches for only 43 total yards and Jones ran for only 38 yards in that game.
- The Green Bay defense is led by their trio of linebackers with MLB Blake Martinez racking up 155 tackles this season and outside linebackers Preston Smith and Za’Darius Smith combining for 25 ½ sacks.
- San Francisco (14-3 SU, 10-6-1 ATS) beat Seattle in the final regular season game to clinch home field advantage throughout the playoffs and a first-round bye.
- Against the Vikings last week in the Divisional Playoff round QB Jimmy Garoppolo completed 11 of 19 passes for 131 yards and two touchdowns. San Francisco has the second-ranked rushing attack in the NFL. Against Minnesota the 49ers triumvirate of running backs ran for a total of 186 yards on 47 carries with Tevin Coleman leading the way with 22 carries for 105 yards and two touchdowns. He is complimented by fellow running backs Matt Breida and Raheem Mostert along with a major assist from Pro Bowl fullback Kyle Juszcyk. The passing attack features veteran WR Emmanuel Sanders, rookie Deebo Samuel and Pro Bowl TE George Kittles who had 6 catches for 129 yards and a touchdown in the victory over the Packers in Week 12.
- The 49er defense held Minnesota to only 7 first downs last week after they had racked up 22 first downs in their overtime victory over New Orleans the previous week. Pro Bowl defensive tackle Arik Armstead led the team with 10 sacks this season followed closely by rookie Pro Bowl defensive end Nick Bosa with 9 sacks. CB Richard Sherman was selected for his fifth Pro Bowl this season.