Saturday, September 19, 2020

India urges China to hurry disengagement of troops in Ladakh


NEW DELHI (AP) — India urged China on Friday to expedite the complete disengagement of troops from border areas in eastern Ladakh, where thousands of soldiers from the two countries have remained in a tense standoff since May.

External Affairs Ministry spokesman Anurag Srivastava said some progress has been made following several meetings between the two sides.

“While we would like the ongoing process to be competed at the earliest, it is important to bear in mind that achieving this requires agreed action by both sides,” he told reporters.

There was no immediate reaction from the Chinese government.

He said India expected the Chinese side to “sincerely work with it toward the objective of complete disengagement and deescalation and full restoration of peace and tranquility in border areas.”

Twenty Indian soldiers died in a June 15 clash when personnel from the two sides attacked each other with rocks, clubs and fists in the Galwan Valley, in the deadliest violence between the countries in 45 years. China has not said whether it suffered any casualties in the clash.

The Galwan Valley is part of a remote stretch of the 3,380-kilometer (2,100-mile) Line of Actual Control established after a 1962 border war which also spilled into Ladakh.

An Indian defense ministry report earlier this month said the standoff is likely to be prolonged because the situation in eastern Ladakh “continues to be sensitive and requiring close monitoring and prompt action based on the evolving situation.”

Indian officials said the standoff that culminated in the deadly clash began in early May when large contingents of Chinese soldiers entered deep inside Indian-controlled territory at three places in Ladakh, erecting tents.

India and China have been trying to settle their border dispute since the early 1990s, without success.



Source link

Related Articles

Saints’ Michael Thomas (ankle) ruled out for game vs. Raiders

METAIRIE, La. -- New Orleans Saints receiver Michael Thomas will miss his first game in four years after being ruled out for Monday...

Tigers beat Indians 5-2 after Gardenhire’s retirement

DETROIT (AP) — Eric Haase and Daz Cameron hit RBI singles during a four-run eighth inning, and the Detroit Tigers won their first...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest Articles

Saints’ Michael Thomas (ankle) ruled out for game vs. Raiders

METAIRIE, La. -- New Orleans Saints receiver Michael Thomas will miss his first game in four years after being ruled out for Monday...

Tigers beat Indians 5-2 after Gardenhire’s retirement

DETROIT (AP) — Eric Haase and Daz Cameron hit RBI singles during a four-run eighth inning, and the Detroit Tigers won their first...

Firefighters in U.S. northwest aided by weather, as winds drive California blaze

(Reuters) - Firefighters in the Pacific Northwest got a helping hand from cooler, damp weather in their battle against an array of deadly...

The iPad Air just put the iPad Pro out of business, at least for creatives

When I'm not writing for TechRadar, I'm running a film production company, and the iPad Pro 12.9 I use for that is a...