NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE – OCTOBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS – ACCESS ALL)
1. U.S. WOMEN’S SOCCER STAR MEGAN RAPINOE BEING INTERVIEWED ON RED CARPET AT SALUTE TO WOMEN IN SPORTS AWARDS SHOW
ORLANDO, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES (RECENT – OCTOBER 6, 2020) (USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES – MUST COURTESY ‘USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES’)
2. STILL PHOTO OF MEGAN RAPINOE CELEBRATING WITH SUE BIRD AFTER BIRD’S SEATTLE STORM TEAM WON 2020 WNBA CHAMPIONSHIP
3. STILL PHOTO OF RAPINOE WITH MASK ON KISSING BIRD AFTER STORM WON 2020 WNBA CHAMPIONSHIP
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, UNITED STATES (FILE – FEBRUARY 16, 2020) (USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES – MUST COURTESY ‘USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES’)
4. STILL PHOTO OF RAPINOE AND BIRD SITTING NEXT TO CHANCE THE RAPPER AT 2020 NBA ALL-STAR GAME
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE – OCTOBER 30, 2019) (USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES – MUST COURTESY ‘USA TODAY SPORTS IMAGES’)
5. STILL PHOTO OF RAPINOE AND BIRD POSING FOR PHOTO AFTER BEING PRESENTED WITH GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS JERSEYS WITH THEIR NAMES BY TEAM PRESIDENT RICK WELLS
6. CLOSEUP STILL PHOTO OF RAPINOE AND BIRD WITH WARRIORS JERSEYS
STORY: Two-time World Cup winner Megan Rapinoe and 11-time WNBA All-Star Sue Bird are getting hitched.
The sports power couple announced their engagement with a photo posted to Bird’s Instagram account on Friday and a representative for Rapinoe confirmed the news to Reuters, as congratulations for the couple poured in from across social media.
Four-time Olympic gold medalist Bird, 40, won her fourth WNBA title with the Storm earlier this month, bouncing back after missing all of the 2019 season due to a knee injury.
Rapinoe, who claimed the Ballon d’Or in 2019 after a career-defining year in which she won her second World Cup title, along with the Golden Boot and Golden Ball, was a regular fixture on the sidelines during the 2020 WNBA season, which took place entirely inside a quarantined setting in Bradenton, Florida, due to the new coronavirus.
The pair, who have been an item for more than three years, became the first openly gay couple to appear in the ESPN “Body Issue” in 2018, and have together been vocal advocates for a variety of political and social causes.
(Production: David Grip)